Yoram Yasur: Things that slow your metabolism
Sometimes the metabolism slows down and it is very hard to lose weight. To avoid slow metabolism, it is best to know what are the causes that produce it sometimes are customs of our daily lives and other is due to diseases or internal imbalances of our body.
– Your genetics: metabolism is the way in which the organism transforms food into energy. If your body is slow to burn calories when you are calm, sleeping or resting, it is because you have the metabolism of your parents through the genes that are passed on to the children.
Yoram Yasur: What to do: since genetics cannot be changed, try to focus on habits. One of the best ways to increase metabolism is to exercise more, so to move more during the day.
– Hormonal changes: Yoram Yasur: hormonal changes can stop the body’s energy consumption. Some diseases associated with slow metabolism are diabetes and underactive thyroid. Stress can also cause deceleration of the metabolism by the release of cortisol (the stress hormone) that affects the release of other hormones in normal situations that help metabolic activities, repair, renewal, and new tissue formation.
What to do: if you present any of these medical conditions, you must continue with the treatment and perform activities that reduce stress and increase the secretion of hormones beneficial to the body.
– Little sleep: Sleeping the corresponding hours helps maintain a stable metabolism. When you suffer insomnia, little sleep, or cannot get a good sleep, it makes it more difficult to use energy, which can increase the risk of diabetes and obesity.
What to do: it is advisable to sleep at least 8-10 hours of sleep. You will feel much better with a good rest.
– Bad food or demanding diets: in diets there is usually a great restriction of food and nutrients essential for the organism. Yoram Yasur: What causes a “braking” in the metabolism as it clings to the few calories you are consuming (remember that metabolism is the way the body transforms food into energy) added to the exercise, the body will “fix” With the few calories you consume, therefore, the energy saving mode will be activated and this makes it more difficult to lose weight.
What to do: the truth may take longer to lose weight, but it is a realistic and effective way to lose weight and not strict and unhelpful. Try to follow a nutritional method that allows you to cover the daily needs of essential nutrients for your body and normal functioning. The exercise should also be according to your physical condition and be progressive. Rest is also fundamental.
– Drinking little water: if you drink too little water, your metabolism can stagnate. Yoram Yasur: Water helps the combustion of energy in the body.
What to do: drink more water and eat foods rich in h2o such as cucumbers, watermelons, etc.
– Low levels of calcium: it is a key nutrient for rapid metabolism. We find it mainly in the bones. It is also necessary for the function of muscles, nerves and for blood coagulation. Each of the cells also contains this nutrient, and calcium is important for muscle contractions, including those of the heart. There are many people who lack calcium in their body.
What to do: there are many calcium alternatives, some can be more delicious than others but the idea is to not stop consuming it. You can find it in dairy products such as milk, yogurt, white cheese, etc. Also in nuts, meats, and vegetables.
– Medications: some medications can decrease metabolic activity and heart rate. The antidepressants and anti-psychotics that some doctors use to treat their patients of diseases.
What to do: you should ask your doctor if these medications may be affecting your metabolism and if they can be replaced by others that do not affect your metabolism.
– Carbohydrates: consuming simple carbohydrates, such as highly processed white flour can be a problem when you suffer from thyroid disease and a decreased metabolism, can lead to obesity.
What to do: consume complex carbohydrates, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables rich in dietary fiber, help to be more satisfied for longer and consume fewer calories, digest and absorb more slowly than the simple ones. It is a very good alternative to increase metabolism and be healthier.
– Chronic Stress: when you are in situations of high stress and stress, the body releases a hormone called cortisol, in emergency situations or alarm this hormone secreted by the adrenal glands produces unfavorable physiological effects when it is chronic or very often. Generating, irritability, anger, desire to cry, fatigue, headache, lack of appetite, hypertension, constipation, digestive problems, immunosuppression, memory loss, etc.
What to do: maintain a good diet, sleep well, relax, exercise to release endorphins (the hormone of happiness), take supplements against cortisol, find what makes you happy and work for you.